|1934 || |
- First official meeting of the Astronomical Society of Tasmania held at the Friends School, Hobart,on June 9th. A report of the meeting was published in The Mercury.
|1936 || |
- The Society became affiliated with the British Astronomical Association and received their publication, Journal of the BAA
|1953 || |
- The Society conducted a series of 8-week lectures with the Adult Education Board.
| 1977 || |
- The first Society Annual Dinner was held at the Bavarian Tavern.
| 1983 || |
- Adoption of the new Astronomical Society of Tasmania Constitution on March 4th.
|1986 || |
- The 12th National Australian Conference of Amateur Astronomers was hosted by the Society in Hobart with over 70 people attending from throughout Australia.
- Opening of the Sonning Crescent Observatory by Professor Graeme Ellis at the residence of Jim and Libby Rogers during the May General Meeting.
- The Society conducted its first Public Open Night at Weld Street, Hobart. This format proved very successful and is still the basis of similar events today.
- First northern General Meeting of the Society held at the Queen Victoria Museum in Launceston.
|1994 || |
- Start of the close association between the Society and the University of Tasmania Physics Department with the use of the 16” telescope at Canopus Hill.
- Commencement of Adult Education Astronomy Classes presented by the Society.
|1995 || |
- The Society’s first website was established.
|1999 || |
- The Society’s Observatory was transferred to the University of Tasmania’s optical observatory at Canopus Hill and renamed the “Jim Rogers Observatory”.
|2000 || |
- Newly designed publication, The Bulletin, launched.
|2015 || |
- The Society’s move to new facilities at the Mount Pleasant Radio Astronomy Observatory was completed and the first joint Society-UTAS Public Open Night was held.